Saturday, December 24, 2011

merry christmas!

This time of the year has always held a special and dear place in my heart. growing up, i don't remember having a tree in our house, but im sure the abundance of trees we had growing in our yard was more than enough. even in the absence of trees in our house, my parents made sure we decorated the house inside and out for the festive season. we had lights everywhere, those little paper circle rings that formed some kind of decoration, all sorts of drawings, and, on christmas eve, we left out shoes out for 'father christmas' (not santa claus) to put our gifts in!

When we got to the US, we adapted to the celebrations there. the little paper rings were still done sometimes, but we started buying ones that were pre-decorated and looked much better. we got a christmas tree (sure it was fake and we loved it that way!) to go inside the house and started decorating the thing with countless ornaments, those silly singing lights, and other keepsakes. no more shoes to hold our gifts, they now went under the tree. and from right after thanksgiving when the tree went up, we kids watched with painful anticipation how the gifts grew under the tree in number and size. every once in a while, the heavens blessed us with snow and we would wake up very early and go sliding and sledding, making snow angels and snowmen, if there was enough snow.

When i moved out by myself, i tried to recreate a bit of the spirit by buying some decorations, even considered buying a tree, but then my no-admin-side kicked in. nevertheless, i would be off to my parents where trees and decorations were boundless during christmas. for the last couple years, ive left the snow and the family and have celebrated my christmas in SA which is a bit challenging, different and tough, but also been rewarding.

Beside the physical depictions of christmas, it's always been a time for me to reflect at the meaning of christmas, as well as reflecting on the year almost gone and the one ahead. as a christian, christmas is a special holiday, celebrating the birth and life and christ. i'm also not one of the trendy masses that preaches against giving gifts for christmas. yes, i think consumerism has taken over the true meaning of christmas; however, even in small doses, we should continue to give in creative ways, precisely to exemplify what God did for us when he gave us his son and what christ did for us by giving us a path to God.

This year, while thinking about this christmas and this season, I couldn't help but look back at the events this year and compare them to years past. Last year, as I wrote in this space, was extremely tough, emotionally and otherwise. I experienced the death of 2 people dear to me, experienced pain and conflict in my family and attempted to complete my studies full time. I prayed that i would never again go through a time like that. Well, this year, was almost as challenging, but lots more rewarding as well. This season, as joyful as it is, for me will always be laced with a bit of pain. In addition to the joyful celebrations, i think of last year when only 2 wks ago, a dear friend of mine passed away at such a young age, after battling cancer for 3 years. a few years ago and a few/several weeks after christmas, my grandfather passed away. in 2003, another dear friend of mine lost her battle with depression only a few weeks after christmas [~God only knows...why you'd leave the stage in the middle of a song~]. this year was not as challenging, but i will never forget those christmas' (and thereabouts) past.

This year, I chose to focus on the amazing things that happened. I gained a new sister and family when my brother got married. I added a title to my CV when i formally graduated with my MBA. I welcomed my mom and dad to south africa (my dad for the 1st time). I received a promotion from work and was blessed with favour from my superiors. In about 3 days, I will become an uncle (technically for the 1st time)!!! I shared meals and fellowship with some of the most awesome guys on the planet and got to watch them grow. a guy that very quickly became one of my closest friends is getting married in 2 days. 6 of my closest friends have found the new exciting jobs they were looking for and left their old ones. and there's so much more. despite some challenges and pain, i was so blessed this year. my greatest gift then, as this year concludes and as i look forward to the next one, is to be as much of a blessing to others (even those i dont know) as I have been so richly blessed.

Here's to a fantastic and safe christmas and new year season and an exciting start to 2012!


2 comments:

s22213148 said...

Great post!

bunmi said...

Christmas time has been a rough time for me as well especially in the last 5 or so years....Its been laced with thanksgiving, excitement, sadness, confusion, and just lost at times. But just as you, this year, especially since I finally made it to Nigeria, I reflected on the wonderful blessings my 30th year of life had brought. Namely, turning 30, having my citizenship, gaining admission to UT, moving to Texas, becoming an aunty, starting an investment portfolio (albeit small), and ventured out on my first solo international trip. I am filled with a new sense of confidence. Thanks be to God!!