Tuesday, January 15, 2008

work, plus.

as a write this i am sitting on my balcony, enjoying the sunshine and nice breeze, in the awesome chair that i bought from uganda. im trying to take full advantage of the few hours i have left before i start work tomorrow, wed. ahh, work, i've definitely been away for too long and i'm not too sure, actually, if i remember what work is or how to do it. i guess i'll find out tomorrow. i get go through new-hire orientation again, so in case i forgot what accenture does and how to check my email and book flights, wed and thurs will be refreshers. woot. woot.

tho i've thoroughly enjoyed my time off, i've gotta say i'm really looking forward to start working again.

other random thoughts:

- someone needs to start courses on the economics of customer service and teach it to s. africans. forreal. i'm losing count of how many times, i've gone to a place and not had any service at all, or asked a question and basically have the "customer service agent" roll her eyes and give me a one word, inaudible answer. the latest was today as i parked my car. a lady asked me in an african language (xhosa, i think) if i wanted my car washed. obviously i didnt understand so i told her so. she asked me again and i gave her the same response. then she flailed her arms and yelled "do you want your car washed!". yep, she yelled at me for assuming that i was zulu or xhosa and speaking to me as such! anyway, i kind of wanted my car washed, but not with that attitude...

- i was on my way home one day and i saw some workers on the street, working. stay with me, this is good. i couldn't tell what they were doing from far away, but getting closer, i realized that they were filling up the pot holes that had been getting larger and more numerous on this residential intersection near my place. if you haven't been to africa, you probably don't know how earth shattering this is. imagine that! the govt paying to do simple (but crucial) infrastructure and the workers actually doing it. it must've taken maybe an hr, but the holes are now filled and the workers are presumably paid and the drivers are safer. roads are a serious problem in africa and often times these pothole issues are never resolved (unless a president is passing through). well, i was impressed.

- sunday i went to a vineyard church. it was alright, but not very diverse. i hate church hunting, but i think i may still be on the hunt.

- saturday, i saw the best show i've seen in a long time, called Umoja. Its pretty much a celebration of south african history, culture, dance, and music. when my friend asked me to go, e called it a musical and immediately i was a bit skeptical; but its no musical, or at least not the same as americans would call musical. its heavy drums, dancing, singing, story telling, stomping, steppin, and more drums (btw, if you've ever seen a step show or step dancing, u should know it originated from south africa). i'm really bad at describing an amazing event and having it sound amazing still, so just trust me it was really good and if it ever comes to the US or wherever you are, you should see it. the singing parts also reminded me of the prison scene in the bryce courtenay's book, the power of one. if you havent read it, u should. if u've heard of a movie by the same name, do yourself a favor and don't ever watch the movie. its terrible.

- saturday night, i was con-ned into going to salsa dance after the show! it was lots of fun, and i enjoyed watching really good salsa dancers...i guess i enjoyed the dancing too (if u can call what i did salsa dancing). some of the seasoned people were nice enough to teach me and bear with me as i unsuccessfully tried to shake my hips. heh.

- and just in case you were wondering, they do not have fabreeze in jo-burg, or at least the places i've been. i asked around one day and the lady looked at me like i was crazy (tho she was actually one of the nice "customer service people") and showed me to the air freshner aisle. too bad. also i dont think they have downy wrinkle release. those 2 items pretty muh sum up how i've lived the last couple, 3, 4, 5 years (i.e. without washing or ironing!), so i guess i have to change that too.

wish me luck tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! Try not to act too bored at the orientation ;)

Anonymous said...

Check online to see if Fabreeze goes by another name in SA. Sometime companies do that. Also remember that we don't do supply side economics in Africa that's why customer service stinks. Everything is based on demand so there is not incentive to service the customer. Also we have created a lot of artificial shortages out there. How long before the repaired pothole becomes a bigger pothole? There goes my Nigerian cynicism again!